quarta-feira, 28 de agosto de 2019

D. Pedro and D. Maria Medal - Campaigns of Liberty


MEDALHA DE D. PEDRO E D. MARIA
"CAMPANHAS DA LIBERDADE" / "SERVIÇOS CIVIS"


HISTORY AND REGULATIONS

Officially designated as D. Pedro and D. Maria Medal (referring to D. Pedro IV and D. Maria II), it was created by decree of the Secretary of State for Affairs of War, in October 16, 1861, and published in the Order of the Army nr. 24 the same year. 

It was intended to “give a public testimony of the […] benevolence to those which, with admirable perseverance, and beyond seemingly unconquerable difficulties, supported” (translated quotation from the decree) the cause of Portuguese Liberalism, during the Civil War fought from 1828 to 1834, between the Liberals and the Absolutists (or Miguelists, referring to D. Miguel).


DESIGN


The medal, with 3 cm diameter, has in the OBVERSE the superimposed effigies of D. Maria II and D. Pedro IV, with the dates 1828-1834 in the lower part, in 2 lines. The REVERSE has the encircling legend "Campanhas da Liberdade" (Campaigns of Liberty) or "Serviços Civis" (Civil Services), depending on the, respectively, military or civilian nature of the services. In the center of the reverse a number, between 1 and 9, corresponding to the number of years served.


The pendant is suspended from a dark blue ribbon, with a narrow white vertical line in the center, for the military service, or dark blue with narrow white vertical lines on the edge, for the civilian services.



Simple ribbons

Campanhas da Liberdade (military)

Serviços Civis (civilians)


Sem comentários:

Publicar um comentário